Monday, August 8, 2011

Leader of Opposition and the lady who rules India

.........is currently in US undergoing surgery.
Well, I must say that the person who rules the country (in TOI's words not mine) does certainly not have confidence in the country’s medical capability. I must say that this more than anything else should trigger the stock market collapse more than anything else. It’s a not so gentle push on the rudder for a country who admires Sonia Gandhi for her stoicism but what a chicken she is when it comes to submitting herself to the hands of our doctors.

And to top it all, she lives in Delhi. It’s not like she has to make a journey of a hundred hours by bullock cart, state transport bus and tractor and rickshaw combined with hundreds others to reach the capital. And after having made the journey, it’s not as if the travails have ended. Those hundreds of hours are compounded by another hundred in the queue not knowing when your turn will come to examined by the best doctor in the country. I am sure one call from her majesty’s office is enough for the doctor to return from his first night post the wedding to pick up his scalpel and knife instead of cupping his bride’s or groom’s face lovingly.

If you ask me, I will not relocate to another city, forget country for medical convalescence. In fact I want the hospital to be right round the corner where I know the doctors. I think being in famililar surroundings and believing that the doctors sympathise with your illness and know you acts as that pill that affects you positively even though it’s just medicinal candy. I do not want to go to another country where medical culture is so diametrically different that where our point of inquiry begins, theirs does not even touch. For example, my doctor always asks me what I ate and if I am sure its not something to do with the tummy (and he is quite sure of it) the doctor in the US might just ask me to see a shrink.

Sorry, but I just do not want to go to the US of all places to recuperate.
Now as a person with reasonable accountability (at least I hope Sonia thinks she is accountable to the people of our country) to the masses, I thought she would think twice. I would have understood if she went to Italy (her mother’s place) for some rest and relaxation. However dirty, small, undesirable, inconvenient your parental place is compared to your home, you will always feel at home. But I guess she knows Italy like the back of your hand and refrained from going there.

So what’s wrong with India and India’s medical facilities which anyway are geared for the rich and the powerful? We have the best of the best right here. We have Telangs, Devi Shettys, Trehans, not to mention Ayurved doctors who are the best in the world. Unlike practitioners of Allopathy, they do not ask you for symptoms and ailment but find out for themselves since the illness sings to them in an esoteric tone. So Sonia why not India, why not a lovely Ayurved Spa, why not an Indian doctor who has earned his spurs here? You could have come to Chennai which is a veritable medical supermarket in itself. I am sure Jaya would have opened her newly found generous arms and looked after you.
It’s breaking my heart Sonia that you chose US over India.

On second thoughts is Hillary Clinton hosting you?

No comments:

The joy of playing

I ran for cover as my partner rushed to the net with her racket raised high over her head and cried "haaaaaaa ya".  The poor s...